If you only have the opportunity of visiting one wine estate in the Cape Town area, Vergelegen (meaning "situated far away") is globally recognised as one of the most iconic wine estates of South Africa. It is also considered a national treasure and has been nominated as a world heritage site.
Experience 17 award winning gardens that reflect the historical periods of the past three hundred years.
The interpretation centre exhibited in the homestead showcases the incredible story of how Willem Adriaan van der Stel used the Dutch East India Company's resources to build his vision of a model renaissance farm in The Cape of Good Hope in 1700.
Since then various visionaries and creators have contributed in shaping and maintaining the delicate balance of wine production, conservation of heritage and environment, and the harmonious blend of old and new into a world-class wine estate that has been visited by dignitaries like Nelson Mandela, Queen Elizabeth II, Bill Clinton and the Prince of Wales.
Vergelegen has been owned by Anglo American PLC since 1987 and is one of the must visits of South Africa.
ABOUT THE TOUR
Gain fascinating insight and knowledge into the layered historicism of the past 300+ years of Vergelegen's existence.
- 60 hectares of lawns, gardens, open pastures and woodlands.
- The homestead, interpretation centre, library and associated buildings refurbished through a display of treasured antiques, objects, paintings and ceramics from the permanent collection of the South African National Gallery.
- Octagonal herb garden
- 317 year old camphor trees.
- The oldest Oak tree in South Africa.
- Newly planted rose garden of 1,500 specially chosen varieties
- Clivia, hydrangea and camelia gardens
- 10kms of the Lourens river conservation frontage
- Ancient White Mulberry (Morus Alba)
FOOD & WINE
- Taste Vergelegen's award winning wines.
- Bistro dining with breathtaking mountain views at Stables at Vergelegen.
- Elegant classical picnics under centuries old camphor tree forest.
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Water Hats and sunscreen (Summer)
- Umbrellas and waterproofs (Winter)
Pen is an avid historian, with a deep appreciation, knowledge and love of South Africa, who has been guiding for 20 years.
Her specialist knowledge includes history, indigenous culture, flora and fauna, agriculture and heritage architecture which she uses to passionately interpret how South Africa and its rainbow nation has evolved from written history in the 1400's up to its present state.
BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES
+27 (0) 82 965 7387
Monday to Sunday
10AM - 1PM (Morning Tour)
2PM - 5PM (Afternoon Tour)
R600 per person (minimum 2 people)
Meals and wine tastings are available for your own account
2.5 to 3 hours